Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Cake

Its been a long time since my last post, to my few followers please forgive me for being busy with my studies. I'am supposed to be studying Art History instead of writing this post, but I'am kind of ignoring the fact that I have 117 terms, 67 pictures and 7 chapters to memorize all for monday, plus another exam yikes ! But I'll make it quick.


So I've been wanting to make a pumpkin anything since before halloween, and I was desperately looking for canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling). So as I was doing some pumpkin research, I found out that I could make pumpkin puree at home easily and I did! 


Its super simple, just wash your pumpkin,  remove all the gooey stuff from the inside, and cut it into equal sizes. Put the pumpkin in a roasting pan with a cup of water and bake it in a 400C oven for 45-60 minutes until the skin color turns deep orange and the pumpkin is tender. Scoop the flesh and mash it either by using a hand blender or a processor .
My pumpkin was small and it made 3 cups of puree, I used 1 cup for this cake and froze the rest (each cup alone) for future uses. 




Pumpkin SpiceCake (adapted from Joy of Baking):

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups (270 grams) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup (240 ml) fresh or canned pure pumpkin(about 1/2 of a 15 ounce can)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups (200 grams) sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoonbaking powder
1 teaspoon (5 grams)baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk, room temperature



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.  Butter and flour (or spray with Baker's Joy) two - 8 inch (20 cm) cake pans. 
In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).  Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.  Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the pumpkin batter, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.  Divide the batter in half and then pour the batter into the prepared pans.  Bake for approximately 25 -30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then invert and remove the cakes from their pans.  Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Note: when you add the pumpkin puree the batter might look separated and ugly, but don't worry it will look like normal cake batter once you add the flour. Always add flour and liquid mixture in 3 batches starting and ending with flour.




Have a great day pumpkins ^.^

1 comment:

  1. that looks so delicious! I love how well they've risen!

    ReplyDelete