Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pistachio Sour Cream Cake with Toffee Sauce

I'am baackk!! It's been months since my last post! A lot has happened in the past 4 moths .. I got busy with submissions, exams and then last minuet shopping for the week I spent in Turkey during my winter break.
A new semester has begun .. and not a lot of baking has been happening because of amount of work I have.




Anyways, here I am with an over the top - AMAZING - pistachio cake recipe that marries amazingly well with its toffee sauce.




The secret to this recipe is the kind of pistachios you use. I got mine from the Iranian village in the global village. The color of the pistachios is just amazing, it makes you want to just stair at them all day!







 I must say the toffee recipe isn't like most toffee sauces but no worries, it works.



Pistachio Cake

2 1/2 cups all p.flour
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
170g butter, room temp.
1 1/2 cups ground pistachios 
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp powdered cardamom 
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp rose water (optional)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla

preheat your open to 180 C (350 F), and butter and flour or spray your pan.
In a bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cardamom, set aside. In another bowl lightly beat the eggs with vanilla and rose water.
Beat butter and sugar with your whist attachment until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes), gradually add the eggs and mix until completely incorporated (4 minutes), then add the sour cream.
Now with the paddle attachment  add the flour mixture in two batches and mix on low speed. Add the pistachios and mix until completely incorporated but remember do not over mix.
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the knife comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes then invert onto your serving plate. Pour the toffee sauce on the cake while still hot.



Toffee sauce

40g Butter
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
170g fresh cream ( not whipping cream)
1/2 tsp vanilla

On low heat, melt the butter then add sugar. Keep on steering until caramelized. You might notice that the butter and melted sugar are not getting mixed but have faith. Add cream and mix well, remove from heat and add the vanilla.










8 comments:

  1. Looks lovely....love the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome back!!! Love pistachios and looooove toffee. I'd kill for a slice of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovee thisss! Sa7taaain!! Looks great! Wish I could have a slice RIGHT NOW! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there any refrence book for this cake? Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any way thank you for translating my favourite pistachio cake recipes from my charity booklet from Arabic into English!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, yes its from a charity booklet.
      wow i never knew the author would pass by my blog .. ill add a reference once i get it back (my friend borrowed it).
      Your recipes are great ! I tried a couple and they turned out great

      Delete
    2. Oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your coconut cake!
      I would love to get more of your recipes if you dont mind sharing :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Maryam,

      Thank you for your nice words. You can check my account in Instgram with photos of my baked goods but no recipes included as I started my home baking business.My account is @cuppiesdeelite.

      Wish you all the best and hope to keep in touch.

      Delete